Thursday, February 19, 2009

Extraordinary Perspectives of the Inauguration




"I am 67 years of age, and I never, never, thought I would live to see this day when a black man became president of these United States." -- Inauguration Attendee

The intent of this vlog (video log) is to mix and match words, audio, pictures and video to tell important, relevant stories about the American experience, in an unscripted style.

For my first posting, I go back to Barack Obama's Inauguration Day on January 20th, 2009, when I braved Washington, D.C.’s bitter cold alongside a million or so people with no access to heated VIP boxes. I rode the crammed public transit system early in the morning, walked through police roadblocks and watched the historic ceremony on big screens set up on the National Mall -- all the while recording some of the stories that people wanted to share.


Other VOA stories that day included Derek Kilner filing a radio spot from Kenya on how residents there celebrated the beginning of the presidency of the first African-American president, whom they also consider a native son, while Jim Malone reported on how the Inaugural celebrations quickly gave way to presidential realities.